Saturday, December 23, 2006

Choosing a good hairdresser

My hair's been all sweet and nice to me today..
It's soft and I like it. =)
I never had the same hairdresser for long. Except for my primary school days when I had a neighbor who would cut my hair really short and fugly hair and make me look chubbier than I am. Ok, so I'm really chubby. So what? -.-

My poor hair has been touched by so many different people and none of them ever did a great job with her. Those cuts either don't fit me or they use harsh and poor quality products on my hair. I wished I knew how to choose a good hairdresser that's not too expensive lah.


With the help of http://www.hair-n-skin-care.com/managing-your-hair/choosing-a-hairdresser.html plus some of my "experience", I'm going to put into points, some of the stuffs I think it's important part to choosing a hairdresser. (A good hairdresser is just as vital to pretty hair as the right hair-care equipment and the ideal style. However, a good hairdresser is hard to find. Here are some tips to help you in your search. In cases that they don't work for you, I'm not liable okay. :P)



1. Your hairdresser should give you a style that fits both your hair-type and your lifestyle.
(and your face shape, and your skin tone, ..)
-Because if you're the fuss-free, wash-and-go kind of person, your hairdresser would warn you about how difficult it is to maintain a certain hairstyle. Like when I wanted to perm my hair, my hairstylist told me how it'll make me look older more mature and I should try it when I'm in my twenties. He also mentioned that it'll make me look chubbier and the hair would be quite difficult to maintain.


2.The cut should grow out gracefully, too.
-I have to agree. I've seen some acquaintance's hair that looks fab one month and the next look likes hay and weeds mixed. but I hadn't have the heart to tell her.


3. One of the best ways to find a good hairdresser is through word of mouth. (Trial and error works but the errors can be very trying).
-I did more trial and error than anything else. Until mummy introduce my current hair stylist to me that I feel more secure. She normally brings me to those "louya" salon with lots of aunties. -.-


4. I wouldn't recommend that hair dresser if he/she keep pushing the latest hairstyle or a certain product to you.
-Some hair dresser want you to think that you'll look good in something that's "cool" or "in", but in fact it doesn't suits you or your lifestyle at all. It's easy to believe a "profession's" opinion, I say. but trust your instincts when you find the girl who just left the shop spotting that hairstyle he/she told you you'll look nice in, all smiley and floats. Some salon products are great! The ones darling bought from Jean Yip for re bonded hair rocks. =) but some are just not so suitable for oily hair or itchy scabs or even make dry hair drier per say.


5. Look at the customers.
-Are they all teenagers that's younger than you? or are they all aunties? or working adults? or students? I remember going to salons with my mum and always end up with ugly hair or hair that makes me feel like I'm as old as my mum. The hair dresser could give my mum a style that makes her looks way younger but she could also give me a style that makes me look like I'm her sister. -.-


6. A good salon doesn't mean all the hairdressers are good.
-I've heard (or rather read) many horror stories about how some girls got their hair so badly cut/perm/burned that they don't dare to live their house without a cap. These stories are associated with names like I***, J****Y**, J******, R***...


7. Unfriendly, friendly & overly-friendly.
-Those I've met are rather friendly. If their unfriendly, it's hard for them to know your style, personality and lifestyle. If their overly friendly, sometimes they think they know better and well, they don't. Especially if they know your mum or friend or relatives who may have portrayed a certain image of you and they will work around that image (which might not be what you want).


8. Cut and trim.
-Some hairdressers can't differentiate between cut and trim. You go in for a trim and end up with a haircut that's too short for your liking. Drop them once you know they can't differentiate. I hate it when people anyhow cut my hair or cut off too much.


9. Do research.
-From forums, from friends, from reviews by magazines, from customers coming out. Look at their expression. Look at the end product. Read how their hair is done, whether the stylist/dresser's altitude is good a not. You would want the best for you hair.. Most people remember the names of their stylist/dressers just so that they can ask for them again.


10. He/She will tell you what he/she is doing to your hair.
-I find this important when going through chemical service like re bonding, perming or colouring.

11. Try out.
For perming or re bonding, some good hairdressers would let you try out the look. Like you want to try perming but you scared it'll look ugly? They can let you try out a little, using the irons only on one side of your hair to show you how it'll look like. Temporary but good.


12. Give you ideas and let you know the truth.
-You see some artiste with really cool hair and you just feel like layering your hair the same way that's been re bonded but your stylist/dresser knows you love your hair straight and that after layering, it'll go out of shape and back to wavy again. Will he/she confirm with you the job and tell you know what it'll do to your hair or would he/she just start cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment